If you’re walking this financial journey with your spouse or significant other, to be successful at it you should have a shared vision of the future. When we focus on what we want, those things tend to come to us. Maybe not in the way we expect, or when we would like, but in time, they often do.
This is the Law of Attraction.
It’s very important that you discuss what you want your future to look like with your spouse. Things like:
- Where do you want to live?
- What type of house do you want to own?
- What type of life do you want to have?
- How often do you want to go out to restaurants?
- Is there a luxury item you’d like to own one day?
- What sort of trips do you want to take?
- How much money do you need to retire?
Identifying these goals in advance, and discussing them with your partner so you can agree on them, is crucial. The list above is absolutely not exhaustive. There are thousands of questions you could ask each other to plot out your life. What matters to you? Think about it, and ask them.
The point is that you talk about it. Have an open conversation about where you’re headed, so you can both pull in the same direction. You’ll get there so much faster.